Updated from November 10, 2014 post
I am coming away from this week’s Brisbane meetings of Global Leadership Summit (GLS) leaders from Australia and New Zealand with many lasting impressions.
But none has been more impacting than to see both their passion as well as their strong sense of drive and purpose.
This powerful combination is foundational to effective leadership. And as I reflected in this earlier post, it’s a combination leaders must strive to master.
It’s no secret. Passion is a required trait for any leader.
But effective leaders know that passion is only one part of a leader’s one-two punch.
For long-lasting impact to occur, a heavy dose of discipline must come along right after passion.
Discipline is the ability to systematically and methodically push through obstacles. It’s what enables a leader to channel all of that passion into a sustainable plan that delivers results.
Together, passion and discipline create a formidable leadership combination.
Here are 10 realities leaders know about the one-two punch of passion and discipline:
1. Passion sees the vision. Discipline translates it into action.
2. Passion attracts a team. Discipline builds the team
3. Passion makes good decisions. Discipline implements the decisions.
4. Passion establishes values. Discipline lives the values out.
5. Passion envisions a healthy culture. Discipline makes it happen.
6. Passion describes the goal. Discipline forms the strategy to reach the goal.
7. Passion creates priorities. Discipline executes the priorities.
8. Passion generates ideas. Discipline turns them into reality.
9. Passion challenges people to grow. Discipline helps them do it.
10. Passion drives innovation. Discipline drives implementation.
The point, of course, is not that one is more important than the other.
Rather, passion and discipline are dependent on each other.
But the reality is, passion gets more press. Passion is flashier. But without the discipline to translate all that passion into action, you’re left with nothing more than hype.
So by all means, be sure your leadership contains plenty of passion.
Just be sure it’s followed up by a heavy dose of discipline.
That’s the one-two punch you’ll need for long-lasting, high-impact results.
How do you make sure discipline always accompanies passion in your leadership?