For churches everywhere, this is one of the most exciting times of year in the entire calendar.
The fall ministry launch is about to begin.
Amidst the excitement and the last-minute scrambling, I want to urge you to take a few minutes, catch your breath, and consider these 10 questions I believe every church leader should be asking this fall.
1. In human terms, are we doing anything different that will produce different results than last year?
2. Is our preaching series designed to feed the growing cry for biblical teaching, or are we clinging to the fading topical approach?
3. Is our church’s community impact growing or diminishing?
4. Is the staff genuinely fired up for the season?
5. Can our board articulate our present direction with clarity?
6. Do our volunteers understand their contribution to the “big picture”, or are they merely doing an unpaid job?
7. Is our church culture growing increasingly generous?
8. Is authentic, biblical community increasing among our congregation?
9. Is our church’s heart for those who don’t yet know Christ increasing?
10. Is ministry causing my love for God to grow or diminish?
Even as you wrestle with these questions, my prayer for you will be that you will “Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
What questions would you add to this list in preparation for the fall ministry season?